Sunday, January 11, 2009

My First Knitted Afghan

I saw a pattern for a gorgeous afghan called the Ebb Tide Afghan at http://www.freepatterns.com/. I decided to make it for my hubby's sister and her husband for Christmas. This is my first time using circular needles and my first time following a lace pattern. I was so frustrated at the beginning because if you don't get the count exact and catch every "yarn over" and "k2got" it messes up the whole thing. I finally, after several unraveling sessions, counted and recounted super carefully and got the project going. I love the finished project, the color is great!

It called for cotton yarn, but I wanted a lighter weight afghan so I opted to use a merino superwash wool I purchased from Knitpicks.com. I used Swish Worsted Weight in Camel Heather. The yarn is soft and easy to work with and comes in tons of great colors!


This was also my first experience in doing any seaming with finished pieces. For this afghan, you knit the body of the afghan separately from the lace edge and then stitch them together. The only really boring part of the afghan was knitting the lace (After about 2 feet I had enough of knitting it and lots more feet to go!) I do love the look of the edging and I'm pretty proud of myself for figuring this all out!

This photo shows a closeup of the design in the afghan. It incorporates a large cable with lace in between. It was kind of tricky and I had to be sure to count and recount everything, but it really turned out with only one mistake and I don't think they'll ever see it!


Here is the finished project! I hope they love it because it took me countless hours to complete.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Your knited lace afghan is beautiful. My mom knits lace doilies using a circular needle and crochet cotton they are gorgeous. My grandma made me one before she died and she helped me make one (me who's knitting talent runs to dish clothes). I made one more later with the help of my great Aunt she laughed when I said I think I have done something wrong and I had the 4 needles twisted end for end turning the whole thing into a knot. Ann lind