Sunday, February 13, 2011

Orange Yogurt Muffins

I usually try to make a nice breakfast on Sunday mornings. Last week it was biscuits and gravy. I made heart shaped biscuits to show my hubby how much I love him. It was weird, though, they tasted just like regular biscuits...odd...

This morning I got it into my head to make yogurt orange muffins. I did a quick Google search and came across a recipe that sounded great. I made it, and sure enough, it was great! I found the original recipe at Taste of Home. I tweaked the recipe a bit by using half brown sugar and half white sugar, plus throwing in some whole wheat flour. I have also been known to use olive oil instead of butter in quick bread recipes such as this, though I used butter this morning. I'm a purist and don't allow margarine in my house, so I always, always, always use real butter (or olive oil)! A photo of my heart biscuits and my muffins are posted on Facebook.

The recipe calls for a lot more grated orange peel than you will need to make orange juice for the glaze. I sliced up the oranges and served them with the muffins along with scrambled eggs from our chickens.

Here's the recipe as I made it this morning. The muffins were nice and moist, a nice orange flavor, but not too heavy on the orange.

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 5 tablespoons butter, cubed
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup plain yogurt
  • 3/4 cup 2% milk

  • GLAZE:
  • 1 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 2 tablespoons orange juice
  • 1 teaspoon grated orange peel

Directions

  • In a small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup brown sugar, orange peel and water. Cook and stir over low heat for 3-5 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Add butter; stir until melted. Remove from the heat; set aside.
  • In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and remaining sugar. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, yogurt, milk and reserved butter mixture. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
  • Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill each with a scant 1/4 cup of batter. Bake at 375° for 13-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Combine glaze ingredients; spoon about 1-1/2 teaspoons over each warm muffin. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.

No comments: